Podcast-We spent the day installing and filming two complete Harley exhaust systems. We installed a set of Bassani 2×2 Dual Head Pipes on Matt “Lurch” Couchman's 2015 Harley Road Glide Special. We installed Python True Dual Headpipes on Rick “Big Daddy” Kane's 2016 Harley Road Glide Special. Both these header systems get rid of your catalytic converter (cat), opening up the flow, increasing power & sound, & greatly reducing heat on the rider. Cats create a large amount of heat.
Note: Always check your local, state, and federal laws regarding motorcycle exhaust systems.
The Bassani pipes are nice because they are basically the exact same as the stock Harley head pipes minus the catalytic (cat) converter. This opens up the flow of exhaust, creates power & sound, and significantly cuts down on the heat on a rider. They also re-use the stock chrome heat shields, which saves you money. These headers have both 18mm and 12mm O2 sensor ports. You can use your stock Harley o2 sensors with these headers. If you want to change your O2 sensors out and use wide-band O2 sensors then you can use the larger 18mm ports. Plugs come with the headers for 12mm and 18mm, so you can plug one set off.
Putting these headers on increased the sound of Lurch's bike, because of the cat now being gone. It also increased performance & cut out a ton of heat. Lurch was already running V&H Titan 450 OS slip-on mufflers.
Remapping your motorcycle's Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) is necessary when you change the flow of exhaust or air intake on your Harley, such as we did in these exhaust installs. Make it easy and get a V&H Fuelpak 3 Electronic Fuel Injection Tuner from our store. We highly recommend this EFI tuner and we use it heavily here at Law Abiding Biker™ Media.
Podcast/Article of Interest: (EFI TUNERS)
- Episode #34: What are these motorcycle electronic fuel injection (EFI) mapping gadgets and are they right for me?
Video of Interest (FUELPAK 3 EFI TUNER)
The Python true duals are just that, two separate pipes all the way from the heads to the rear. There is no chamber, so the back pressure is just not there. It's well known that true duals are not the number one choice for optimal performance anyways. They look great and sound good though. And most riders would not feel a noticeable loss of performance. These pipes only come with 12mm O2 ports, which is great because you can use your stock Harley O2 sensors. You'd have to have 18mm ports welded in if you wanted to use aftermarket wide-band O2 sensors.
We didn't notice any significant increase or decrease in performance after install of these Python True Duals. However, we did notice a great improvement in sound and the reduction of heat from having no cats. We do have some back pressure with these Pythons because Big Daddy is running Vance & Hines Eliminator 400 slip-on mufflers with them.
New Free Video!
- Note: We want to thank our friends over at Revzilla for sending us both these exhaust systems for review. If you like this episode and find it useful, please consider purchasing any Bassani or Python systems or other products through our Revzilla Affiliate Link. No additional cost to you, but we get a small kickback if you click through and make a purchase. It helps support us.
- CLICK HERE!
- Innovative products for Harley-Davidson
- Affordable chrome, lighting, and comfort products
- Ciro 3D has a passion for design and innovation
- Lawrence Recla of Orangeville, PA
- Jason Despain of Crestview, Florida
- Bern Dapkevich of Cary, NC
- Micheal Kelly of Brunswick, OH
- Roger Walsh of Wichita, KS
- James Patton of Monroeville, PA
If you appreciate the content we put out and want to make sure it keeps on coming your way then become a Patron too! There are benefits and there is no risk.
Thanks to the following bikers for supporting us via a flat donation:
- John Phillips of Harlem, GA
- Randolph Marshal