Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
We recently did an S&S 465 gear cam & oil pump upgrade on Popeye's 2019 Harley Street Glide special with the 114 ci Milwaukee Eight engine. We filmed this project in detail over several days. That detailed tutorial video will eventually be released on this YouTube Channel. In this episode, Lurch and I talk about the project and also give our opinions and thoughts on the bike's performance after installation. Is it worth it? We also talk about tuning the engine to the new cam.
SUPPORT US AND SHOP IN THE OFFICIAL LAW ABIDING BIKER STORE
There are many cam manufacturers out there, and there are just as many cam options. After talking with some of our Patron Members in the members-only Law Abiding Biker Facebook Group, Popeye decided to go with the S&S gear drive 465 gear torque cam. We have no affiliation with S&S, but we definitely recommend them. You can get the kit Popeye used HERE.
A torque cam offers on-demand throttle response from low to mid RPM at cruising speed. A power cam targets high RPM, wide-open throttle response that keeps pulling right up to the redline.
CHECK OUT OUR HUNDREDS OF FREE HELPFUL VIDEOS ON OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND SUBSCRIBE!
You can go with a chain-driven cam or a gear-driven cam. You need to measure your pinion shaft runout to make sure it's within specifications for a gear-driven cam. The benefit of a gear-driven cam is you eliminate the chain and chain tensioner.
We tuned Popeye's bike with the Vance and Hines FP3 and it runs like a raped ape. Tuning was easy with the FP3. We selected the intake, cam, and exhaust for Popeye's bike and flashed it. After flashing the “canned” map, we ran an auto-tune session with really dialed things in. Due to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) findings and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) settlements, the FP3 may soon become a thing of the past. We grabbed up a bunch of FP3s for you guys. You can get one here: Vance and Hines FP3.
Specialty Tools Needed
- Runout/Gear Lash Gauge
- M8 Cam Shaft Bearing Remove/Install Tool
- Jims Vacuum Tappet Pump-Up Tool
- Cam Gear Locking Tool
NEW FREE VIDEO RELEASED:
- CLICK HERE!
- Innovative products for Harley-Davidson & Goldwing
- Affordable chrome, lighting, and comfort products
- Ciro 3D has a passion for design and innovation
- CLICK HERE
- The Ultimate Motorcycle Luggage Rack Solution
- Forget those messy straps and bungee cords
- Go strapless with a RickRak quick attach luggage system & quality bag
- CLICK HERE
- Want to ride longer?
- Tired of a sore and achy ass?
- Then fix it with a high-quality Butt Buffer seat cushion?
- Duane Brickel of Melissa, Texas
- Zachary Mendenhall of Princeton, Indiana
- Rick Redding of Woolwich, Maine
- Casey Kendrick of Fredericksburg, California
- Anthony Oviedo of Hialeah, Florida
- Marshall Madison of Janesville, Wisconsin
- Dustin Lien of New York Mills, Minnesota
- Frank Scarpato
- Jeff Willis
If you appreciate the content we put out and want to make sure it keeps on coming your way then become a Patron too! There are benefits and there is no risk.
Thanks to the following bikers for supporting us via a flat donation:
- Jason Scrivner of Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Dustin Dirks of Fairbanks, Alaska
- Peter Hando of Philipsburg, New Jersey
Join the Free Email Club!
If you appreciate this free information make sure to join the thousands of law abiding bikers that have already joined the free Email Club! You will be notified of new useful motorcycle content and techniques as we put them out. Join the Community now!
Leave a Reply