By Bikers For Bikers
Video-In this completely free video we show you how to completely remove your inner and outer primary drive housings on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. It doesn't really matter the year and make of your Harley as this process is pretty standard. We can say that this video covers 2000 and newer Harley's and likely earlier models. There are minor changes on bolt sizes etcetera over the years, but the concepts and procedures are pretty much the same.
We show you how to remove the clutch, compensator sprocket, primary chain, chain tensioner, outer housing, and inner primary housing! There are many reasons you may want to remove the primary drive & housings on your Harley-Davidson motorcycle. Maybe your shifter seal is leaking, you need to replace your primary chain, you want to access your final belt drive, you need to replace your primary chain tensioner, you want to install forward controls, or for any other reason.
Videos of Interest (mentioned and reference in the video)
- Video-Harley Davidson Oil Tank Removal & Install | Complete Guide & Instructions
- Video-Install Forward Controls on a Harley Davidson Softail or Dyna-Guide & Instructions
If you appreciate the content we put out and want to make sure it keeps on coming your way then become a Patron too! There are benefits and there is no risk.
Or you can support us via a flat donation:
You can do this project in your very own shop or garage. No lifts, jacks, or major specialty tools are needed for this project.
So, check this free video out and save yourself a ton of money not having to take your Harley-Davidson to a dealership or mechanic. The best part is having the pure satisfaction that comes from wrenching and fixing your own Harley!
Tools & items needed: (affiliate links)
- Screwdrivers (standard & phillips)
- Torx head wrenches (standard sizes)
- Standard box end wrenches (American & Metric)
- Standard sockets & ratchets (American & Metric)
- Pliers (standard & needle nose)
- Allen/Hex head wrenches (American)
- Snap ring pliers
- Red & blue thread lock
- Torque Wrench
- Oil for primary (30-40 oz)(replacement after removing the primary)
- Appropriate gaskets & seals will come in the Harley forward control kit.