Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
Do you have engine oil in your Harley air filter? Is it a problem or is it normal? In this episode, I am joined by Lurch and Oscar. Harley-Davidson vents engine pressure through banjo bolts that hold the air intake on. There are tubes on the end of the banjo bolts. The tubes are directed into the intake/filter area. When pressure builds up and oil passes through the bolts/tubes it dumps into the filter and/or is sucked into the engine through the intake. If an excess of oil builds up in your Harley air filter it can leak out and get all over your bike.
SUPPORT US AND SHOP IN THE OFFICIAL LAW ABIDING BIKER STORE
We discuss how oil ends up in your Harley air filter. The three of us share our opinions and have some fun along the way. We break down the issue of oil blowback; what it is and what causes it. We also discuss stock air intakes and aftermarket intakes. Some of the aftermarket intakes already have external breather bolts and catch cans. Some have external breather bolts, but route tubes back into the intake. The stock air intakes have internal breather bolts with tubes that vent into the filter/intake.
CHECK OUT OUR HUNDREDS OF FREE HELPFUL VIDEOS ON OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND SUBSCRIBE!
So, what are the solutions for oil in your Harley air filter? First off, don't overfill your engine oil. We here at Law Abiding Biker run our oil level a little below the top of the acceptable range on the oil dipstick. Another option is to install an exterior oil catch system that keeps the oil out of your filter and engine.
Here are some options for external breather kits:
- J&P Braided Hose Crankcase Breather Kit (Twin Cam)
- J&P Cycles Head 1/2″ and 3/8″ Breather Bolt Kit
- J&P Cycles Dual Breather Kit
- Trask Assault Breather Kit For Harley Big Twin 2017-2022 (M8)
NEW FREE VIDEO RELEASED:
- CLICK HERE!
- Innovative products for Harley-Davidson & Goldwing
- Affordable chrome, lighting, and comfort products
- Ciro 3D has a passion for design and innovation
- CLICK HERE
- The Ultimate Motorcycle Luggage Rack Solution
- Forget those messy straps and bungee cords
- Go strapless with a RickRak quick attach luggage system & quality bag
- CLICK HERE
- Want to ride longer?
- Tired of a sore and achy ass?
- Then fix it with a high-quality Butt Buffer seat cushion?
- Guy Gill of Olympia, Washington
- Austin Webre of Palmer, Alaska
- Gary Provolt of Sun Valley, California
- Jim Hawthorne of Diamond Springs, California
- Bill Fisher of Annabella, Utah
- Billy Robinson, of Fallon, Nevada
If you appreciate the content we put out and want to make sure it keeps on coming your way then become a Patron too! There are benefits and there is no risk.
Thanks to the following bikers for supporting us via a flat donation:
- Cody Hobbs of Paragould, Arkansas
- Jason Despain of Crestview, Florida
- Gary McCartin of Henderson, Nevada